MINI has won another award for the new 1.5 liter turbocharged engine in the third-generation MINI Cooper. Ward’s has chosen this engine as one if its 10 Best Engines for 2015.
To be eligible for the Ward’s 10 Best Engines competition, an engine or propulsion system must be all-new or significantly re-engineered and available in the U.S. market with a base price not exceeding $60,000. This year’s pool of 37 nominees includes last year’s 10 winners and 27 new entries. Eight WardsAuto editors drove the vehicles in October and November in their routine daily commutes around metro Detroit. Editors scored each engine based on power, torque, technology, observed fuel economy, relative competitiveness and noise, vibration and harshness characteristics.
Here’s the entire list:
- 127-kW Electric Motor (BMW i3 electric vehicle)
- 6.2L OHV V-8 (Chevrolet Corvette Stingray)
- 6.2L Supercharged OHV V-8 (Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat)
- 1.0L Turbocharged DOHC 3-cyl. (Ford Fiesta)
- 100-kW Fuel Cell (Hyundai Tucson FCV)
- 1.5L Turbocharged DOHC 3-cyl. (Mini Cooper)
- 3.0L Turbodiesel DOHC V-6 (Ram 1500 EcoDiesel)
- 2.0L Turbocharged DOHC H-4 (Subaru WRX)
- 1.8L Turbocharged DOHC 4-cyl. (Volkswagen Jetta)
- 2.0L Turbocharged DOHC 4-cyl. (Volvo S60)
Mini has won two Ward’s 10 Best Engines trophies over the past 21 years for boosted high-output 4-cyl. engines, but this year the brand returns with an authoritative interpretation of the 3-cyl., another powertrain destined to achieve high volumes in the U.S. as efficiency demands rise.
Mini’s 1.5L churns out 134 hp and makes the all-new Cooper highly entertaining, while enabling every WardsAuto editor to achieve at least 30 mpg (7.8 L/100 km) in spirited driving. One editor said he couldn’t imagine buying a Mini with any other engine.
There was a time when people bought underpowered 3-cyl. engines out of economic necessity. Mini turns that legacy on its ear by demonstrating a base engine can totally sell a vehicle. With a starting price under $20,000, the Mini 3-cyl. is the smart choice.
Read the press release Variety Distinguishes 2015 Ward’s 10 Best Engines.